moomah the magazine
be inspired and know you are doing enough.
On The Shore Placemat
A day at the beach is bliss by anyones standards. Sandcastle building with a bucket and shovel, investigating the different types of sea shells, watching the anchored boats float above water and admiring all of the creatures in sight. Our On The Shore Placemat captures it all. Re-create your day at the beach and make it something you can hold onto all year round.
WHAT YOU NEED:
- On The Shore Images: Template 1 • Template 2
- Colored Paper - 11" x 17" in size
- Tissue Paper
MAKING YOUR ON THE SHORE PLACEMAT:
MAKE your background. We like to use paper that is 11" x 7" in size for the base - we chose light sky blue.
ADD LAYERS to your background, using a "rip" techinque:
1. TAKE a piece of colored 11" x 17" sized paper - we would recommend brown or yellow, to show the bottom layer of the sand on the shore.
2. TEAR the colored paper in half horizontally, don't worry if it isn't an even rip, that just creates more dimension!
3. PASTE the ripped layer on top of the background paper, lining up the flat edges so that the background is still 11" x 17" in size.
4. USE blue tissue paper to make a ripped layer, showing the sea. Tissue paper is a great one to use, as you are able to see through the paper to the image behind, really making it look under water.
CUT out all of the images that you would like to include on your placemat.
ORGANIZE your images onto your background - birds in the sky, fish in the sea.
PASTE the pictures onto your background in their designated spots.
ASK your kids to add more images of their own - old photographs of their time on the shore, images from magazines, or pictures drawn themselves.
LAMINATE the page. If you have a laminating machine do it yourself, or take it to your local Fedex Office and have them laminate it for you.